Dsc 7447 copy


   The property on which St. James resides is a 65 acre farm that dates to Colonial times. The Abingdon Glebe was the provision by the King of England for the rector of the English churches at Ware and Abingdon. Following the American Revolution in 1802, the Abingdon Glebe was appropriated by Gloucester County and kept for use by the Peasley Free School. It was sold after 1870 with the proceeds going to the school system of Gloucester County. The Glebe house itself was allegedly operated as an ordinary by the county.

   The house was later acquired by the Robins family. In 1902 it was bought by the Lamberths who largely re-stored the property and in 1950 added the current outbuildings. The Abingdon Glebe house was registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark in 1970. In the late 1980’s the Glebe was bought by the late William M. Riddick III, who continued restoration of the house and farm. Upon his death in 2006, Mr. Riddick bequeathed the historic Glebe and land to St. James Anglican Church. The 65 acre property is still a working farm.

   A glebe is a tract of land that belongs to a church parish and is used to maintain the church and its staff. The Abingdon Glebe was built circa 1725 in Gloucester County. It is located a few miles in each direction from Ware Episcopal Church and Abingdon Episcopal Church. The priest served both churches.
Nrhyp sign